Friday, January 30, 2009

"Protecting my investment" and other pet peeves

As a part-time salesperson in a computer store, I have a few pet peeves about dealing with customers and consumer electronics. Just allow me to vent:

1. Customers looking for the perfect product - No matter how long or arduous your search, the perfect product is never to be found. It is amazing how many people pop in to the store with their iPhone or iPod, searching for the perfect case, who subsequently explain to me: "I just want to protect my investment." I desperately want to respond: "I'm sure you'll see a return on that 'investment' very soon." I have opened hundreds of cases for hundreds of finicky customers and none of them are ever totally satisfied with what they inevitably buy. It's a waste of time and energy for them and I.

2. Customers complaining about the cost of iPhone accessories - At the forefront, I am always surprised by people willing to spend $300 on a cell phone (no matter how many functions it has). And yet, after spending half a month's rent on such a device, these are the people who complain about a $15 wall charger. iPhones are expensive. Apple products are expensive. If you aren't prepared to spend liberally, don't buy a consumer product that demands just that.

3. Customers merely looking to spend money - It is absolutely astonishing how many people waltz in and say to me: "What's cool? What can I buy?" I understand that I, as a salesperson, should feel incredibly lucky to have customers like this - and if worked on commission, maybe I would - but it only serves to annoy me. What should you do with your extra money? Buy your wife flowers. Donate to a local charity. It's an entirely judgmental statement, but almost anything would be a better use of money than buying a faster router so that you can watch youtube with less lag time.

There, I've complained enough. Now I feel a little like Peter Griffin from "Family Guy" doing his 'What Grinds My Gears' bit ---

No comments: