Monday, January 5, 2009

A extra-whiny personal essay blurb

Whilst cleaning out some old things, I came across a personal essay I wrote recently, which was inspired after hearing an episode of "This American Life" and reading David Sedaris' Holidays On Ice. Here is a short piece of it ---

"In the period between Christmas and my birthday in March, I apply for thirty-seven different jobs. In addition, I send various pieces of my writing to thirteen publications, e-zines, and editors. My extensive application for a Fulbright grant (ten months in the works) and my graduate school submission to the University of British Columbia are both rejected. My long shot goals of writing for “The Onion”, finishing my young adult novel, and pitching story ideas to numerous publishing agents at an annual writing conference go, unceremoniously, unfulfilled. I continue my drudging at the computer store, learning the inventory department in addition to my sales duties. For my own amusement, I write to our company’s president one Friday. “Dear Craig,” I write, “We have not met but I work the inventory department at your Beaverton store. I am writing because certain thoughts have weighed heavily on my mind as of late.” I go on to discuss Capitalism and it’s flaws and the idea of consumer “buying power.” My three and a half page manifesto concludes thusly: “In the end, people buy products they do not need and people work harder, longer hours for less pay with fewer benefits. Ideally, we would see this Capitalistic model fail, as neither the customer nor the employee is treated well. Yet only a massive displacement of buying power or working manpower would have a lasting effect on the system.” Much to my surprise, Craig sends me a reply the very next Sunday. “I am always open to such interesting and intelligent conversation,” he begins, “and I applaud you for asking these difficult questions.” He follows this introduction with his own rousing, three and a half page defense of Capitalism, assuring me that “while it’s not a perfect system, it’s the best we’ve got.” And so my unspoken aim behind writing this treatise, of being plucked from the minutiae of sales and inventory – being thrust into a position of writing, expounding, creating – is lost."

No comments: