Sunday, January 4, 2009

One of those...huh...days

I'm having one of those days where I feel incredibly spacey. Whether it's for lack of sleep, stress, or just synapses failing to fire, I feel as if I can't concentrate on anything. (Seems like a good time to post to my blog, eh?) These are the days where you drive home and then cannot remember the last five minutes of your trip. The days where you forget why you walked into the kitchen and then forget what you were doing before you decided to walk into the kitchen. The days where you misplace the TV remote and find it in the fridge a few hours later. I chalk it up to a physical phenomenon I once read about called derealization or jamais vu, where the normal world suddenly appears abnormal to you. (I believe Vonnegut discusses this idea in Slaughterhouse Five). It's as if you look down, see your shoelaces are untied and when you stoop down to tie them, your mind suddenly goes blank. Your fingers freeze on the laces and you realize that you have no idea what to do. And someone could pay you a million dollars to finish but you still wouldn't be able to tie your shoes for the next ten seconds. It forces you to think about perception and remember that who we are depends on what day, hour, or minute you come upon us.

No comments: