Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Current distractions

I'm in the midst of finishing a few books, which is a fairly regular place for me to be ---

"Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut - One of my favorite writers, this book hasn't quite taken flight as quickly as some of his other works. But it still contains the same cynical, maniacal fantasies that he is best at creating. I sympathize with his skepticism of organized anything and his faith in the goodness of solitary man. (It's also difficult to dislike a guy who gave some of his own books "C-" ratings).

"The Catcher In the Rye" by J.D. Salinger - I reread this book every year or two. On this occasion, it hasn't read as smoothly as years before. Talking to a coworker of mine, I realized that maybe Salinger is a better short story writer (i.e. taken in small doses) than author of novels. This is not a knock on his talent - masters like Cheever and Chekhov are best known for their shorter works - but more a realization after a long love affair.

"From Hell" by Alan Moore - A Christmas gift from my younger sister, I always felt reluctant to gift this book myself. Jack the Ripper is a gory topic, but it's surprisingly deep in its subject matter. Moore explores the history of architecture - the movements, idols, and misogyny that once drove it - and the way it has shaped various cultures. It's as if we have no choice but to be influenced by the men and women who came before us. Heavy stuff.

No comments: