Sunday, November 16, 2008

Grad Application drudgery

I'm applying to grad schools. Despite the deadlines - which are helpful motivators for a writer like myself - nothing else about the process is enjoyable. In addition to each application, I need to complete statements of intent, personal statements, statements for the teaching of creative writing, a curriculum vitae, and writing samples. Additionally, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and GRE scores must be requested and sent. It's a confusing, expensive, time-consuming procedure that probably weeds out a number of people who also once said, "I'm applying to grad schools." The thing that torments me is the idea that after taking time off from work, fretting, sweating, and tearing my hair out to complete all these applications (which feels like a success in and of itself), there is a fair chance that I won't be accepted into any of the programs. (Statistically, the odds are always stacked against the person applying). A fortune cookie that came with my lunch the other day read, "You will soon witness a miracle." Maybe that miracle will be me completing all of my grad school applications.

No comments: